It wasn’t unusual to work in the garden, with the sun blazing down on our sun hats whilst pulling weeds to hear a contented snort and to look up and see a bull chewing the cud just a meter away. You see, the garden on the farm was fenced in, of course and shared two lengths of the fence with the field that the bulls would sometimes hang out in. The first few times seeing the majestic creatures walking up to the fence were a little unnerving, but once you realize they really just wanted the long blades of green grass that grew around the posts, it was fine. Almost relaxing – being so close to animals. There is nothing quite like farm life!
Okay, back to the garden….and ultimately the focus of this post – Beets!!! We were so fortunate to have a large garden (except when we had to pull weeds!) and in that garden we grew a multitude of vegetables. Among the rows of vegetables were beets, glorious beets. Beets were enjoyed late summer, fall and because they were stored in the cold room, we continued to cook with them into the winter. Beet salad was made of them, and that is one of the two ways I knew how to prepare them. Beets are incredibly good for you, and with their earthy and sweet flavor, they really pair well with salty, tangy and citrus accents. Now, living in an urban area, space is limited, but we still grow beets – just on a smaller scale. This recipe is requires a few steps but with the vibrant color and amazing health benefits, you’ll be so happy you made it! It’s a great way to enjoy the harvest from the garden in the summer and also brighten a dreary winter day!
Toss the beets in the oven for up to an hour – check for doneness!
Complimentary flavors balance the sweetness and earthiness. The feta provides a creamy texture and salt while the lemon balances the sweetness and earthiness of the beet. The Italian parsley just goes so well with the beet flavor!
I like using a variety of lettuces and sometimes I omit the lettuce all together for just some straight up beet bliss.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until creamy and add just before serving if you are using lettuce in your salad. If your eating straight up beet salad, then add it and let the beets soak up the dressing.
Here you have Beet Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, almost too pretty to eat! Enjoy! You can also omit the cheese and swap out the mayonnaise for a vegan alternative to make this salad vegan!
- 1 teaspooon mustard
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (or vegan option)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove or 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash soy sauce
- 2 red beets, leaves trimmed, roasted and thinly sliced
- 2 golden beets, leaves trimmed, roasted and thinly sliced
- 2 cups washed red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed butter lettuce
- 1 cup frisée lettuce
- ½ cup crumbled feta, crumbled bleu cheese or shaved parmesan
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on the beets.
- Wrap each beet in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, put them in the oven and let them roast for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes and peel.
- Slice the beets in ¼" slices.
- In the serving bowl, combine all ingredients using a whisk to emulsify the dressing. Check for salt and pepper.
- Place lettuce and sliced beets, pomegranate seeds on top of the dressing and toss just before serving. Sprinkle feta, shaved parmesan or crumbled bleu cheese on top and enjoy!