Here is simple recipe for a fabulous cheese sauce! It can be used as a dip for vegetable, chips, baked potatoes or to top off a warm batch of nachos. I used it most recently as a dip for some fresh, homemade pretzels!
Swiss-Gruyère Chesse Sauce
A simple, tasty and cheesy sauce to accompany a variety of meals!
Recipe type: Sauce, Topping
- ½ white onion (diced)
- 2½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¾ cup grated Swiss cheese
- ¾ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chopped jalepeño pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot.
- When the oil is nice and warm, sautéed the diced onion.
- Add the cayenne powder and mix into the sautéed onion.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup of heavy cream and mix.
- Add the half and half, while stirring.
- As soon as the cream and half and half just start to steam, add the grated cheeses, the salt and the pepper.
- Keep the heat on medium to low-medium, and stir continuously, until smooth and creamy. ***Cooking too fast will cause separation to occur.***
- Add the chopped jalepeño as soon as the sauce becomes creamy, stir for 2-3 minutes, then enjoy!