Highly addictive, delicate and perfectly lemony sweet, these Lemon Glazed Heart cookies will surely be a part of your cookie repertoire! What I like about, I mean LOVE about these Lemon Glazed Hearts is the gorgeous lemon flavor that comes from freshly grated lemon zest. If you love lemon, then you will be blown away by these beauties. I promise you. Once these cookies are baking in the oven, the enticing aroma of lemon will fill your nostrils and probably make your stomach growl. And, you’ll want to sample the baked cookie as soon as you remove it from the oven. I know I do. Purely for quality check purposes, of course. Just when you think the cookie can’t get any better, you brush on the lemon glaze and BAM! You’ll then understand the addictive quality these Lemon Glazed Hearts really have!
Once the dough has come together, roll it onto a sheet of plastic wrap, cover it and let it chill for an hour in the fridge.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8″ thick. Using a 2 1/2 ” heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts, re-roll scraps to cut more hearts, and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toss them in the fridge to chill as this helps the cookies maintain their shape.
Once these little lemony gems are baked, cool completely on wire rack and then brush the lemon glaze on top, and let them dry for at least 6 hours before stacking them, storing them or packaging them!
Enjoy with tea or coffee!
- 125 grams (1 stick of butter + 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 80 grams ⅓ cup + 1 teaspoon) granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 pinches of salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams (2¼ cups) all purpose flour
- 150 grams (1⅓ cup) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- In a large bowl with hand beaters or a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth.
- Add sugar, beat until smooth and creamy and pale in color.
- Add egg yolks and continue to mix until smooth, then pour in lemon juice and zest.
- Using the dough hook now, spatula or your hands, combine flour and baking powder with the butter mixture and form a dough.
- Lay two pieces plastic wrap (each 30 cm or 12" long) on the counter and place dough on top, and flatten the dough, cover it with more wrap and let it chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside and preheat oven to 200 C or 400 F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 3 millimeters (1/8 inch thick) and using a heart shape cookie cutter (preferably 2½" size) cut out and transfer each heart to a prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in freezer for 10 minutes before putting into oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then remove promptly from sheet and let cook completely on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, prepare lemon icing by combining powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl, and stir until smooth. Using a pastry brush, 'paint' the hearts with the icing and let dry on a cooling rack. Enjoy!