I learned about this dish from the Punjabi part of my family! This versatile yogurt sauce cools any spicy dish and adds warmth and depth as well. You can adjust the heat in this sauce to your preference.
Basic ingredients that pack a whole lot of flavor when they get together and mingle! This sauce is easy and quick to make and it has a wonderful cooling effect on the taste buds – especially when eating dal and rice.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded & minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper or white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon toasted whole cumin seeds
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a glass dish. Don't worry if your raita is initially on the runny side, it'll thicken up a bit as it rests.
- Allow the raita to rest for at least 10 minutes in the fridge. Sprinkle the raita with crushed cumin seeds and enjoy!