Good Morning! Good Afternoon, or if you are about to make these in the evening, then I say Good Evening to you! Regardless of what time of day it is these hearty muffins are a snap to make, bake up nicely and are great as a snack or for breakfast on the go! It is the reality of which we live in – a lot of us are constantly on the go and sometimes, we just want to pick up a muffin and not worry about the ‘bad’ stuff that may lurk amidst all the ingredients. Like many individuals I have experienced the “The alarm didn’t go off” panic which leaves you with 10 minutes to get showered, dressed, and eat before you leap out the door….only to skip 2/3 mentioned above and feeling super hungry so you take 1 minute to grab a muffin or croissant on the way to your destination. My obvious solution to avoid this is to a) make some of these muffins when you have spare time so you can always have breakfast on the go and b) triple check the alarm before going to sleep.
These muffins are low in fat and sugar, but pack a lot of fibre so when you are on the go, these little delightful muffins will not only reassure you that you made a good choice, your body will thank you – and so will your coworkers for not getting ‘hangry’ around 10:30am!
Simple whole ingredients yield the best tasting food!
Blueberry Whole Wheat Muffins
Serves: 8 muffins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt (whole milk or 2%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup fresh blueberries
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Stir in egg, yogurt and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and stir until just combined.
- Gently mix in berries, reserving a tablespoon or two.
- Scoop in greased or lined muffin tins. Fill the tins most of the way full- you should get 7-8 muffins.
- Press a few berries into the top of each muffin and sprinkle lightly with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.